Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Varanasi to Kolkata by overnight train


Varanasi to Kolkata by overnight train.


The evening reception was excellent. The sitar and tabla drum lulled me into having one of the best night’s sleep of the trip. I met another Fulbright scholar and his wife who are studying in Varnasi for 9 months. They are living with a family in the city and it was very interesting to hear about the day to day life of a family. I had no idea that every day for 4 hours they have power cuts during the time when business need the power. Families also only eat two meals a day so that took some getting used to also.

On Monday, July 4 we visited the prestigious Banaras Hindu University at the Malviya Center for Peace Research. We heard some interesting insights into the role of women and the difficulties experienced to advance through the ranks of education. We also visited the art museum on site and enjoyed viewing ancient relics – one being a crystal which was from100 BC and some magnificent miniature paintings. The rest of the afternoon was down time to prepare for our overnight trip to Kolkata. We had an incredible downpour and it was fascinating to see how quickly everywhere floods and how traffic stops. These monsoon conditions really cause turmoil and people plough through mud and water and just continue their life.

We now all definitely know that we brought too much luggage. We were allowed 2 x 50 pound bags from the states but only 1 bag here in India. Getting all of this on the train and trying to fit it under the bunk beds was nigh on impossible but our wonderful guide and USEFI representative were incredible.

One fact that I have not shared yet is that they have wild peacocks everywhere in India. The other fact while on the subject is that men just peeeeeee everywhere and continuously. We counted 21 and we had not even left Varanasi. We do not understand it and I know it is gross but the hygiene mentality is not here at all. Put that together with the cow poop and the litter just dumped everywhere and it is no wonder typhoid and hepatitis is rife.

Back to the train…….. I got the middle bunk of three and we were in a carriage with many others. I slept pretty well until I realized I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It was easy walking the corridor as I could see the light at the end of the corridor but when I returned it was hard to see which was my bed and I had to gingerly feel to see if there was a body on the middle bunk or a space. One mistake later, I snuggled back into bed and awoke at 6:00am ready to spend another day.

We are staying at the Hotel Oberoi Grand in Kolkata and it is magnificent. We had the morning free and I bathed and relaxed while catching up on my blog. I am off to lunch now and then to a City Tour to acclimate us. We are also going to see Missionaries of Charity which is Mother Teresa’s charity. More to come later. I hope you are enjoying my travels as much as I am. Miss you all and please excuse any typos as time rushes by and internet is extremely expensive in the hotels but I do not want to sit in the Internet Cafes. xox

2 comments:

splashy said...

Life sounds so different in India than in the US. Have a great time and enjoy every minute of it.

malia xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Crowesnest said...

you look dead cozy in that sleeper carriage. wish i could be there with you.
The photos are fab, keep em coming and the daily reports are sooooo exciting and i am green with envy.

we will look forward to the next update
love ya
XXX