Monday, July 7, 2008

Tombs and Towers



Today we got to do some cultural activities. We went to visit Humyan’s Tomb which is the first true example of Mughal architecture in India. It was built in 1565AD by his senior widow, Bega Begam. There are several other prestigious Mughals buried there but it now only houses lots of bats!

Next we traveled to Qutab Minar (Light of Islam)to observe its soaring 73 m high tower built in 1193. It is built in a beautiful red brick and sandstone and marble nearer the top. It was built by the first Muslim ruler in Delhi but he died before its completion.

Ella loved this site. Can you find her?

3 comments:

beachgirl said...

Great pictures Ms. Boyle! I found Ella on your friend's shoulder! She must be a wonderful mascot. It looks like you are having a great time.

Love,
Audrey

splashy said...

Dear Mrs.Boyle,
I am looking at these photos with my 5 year old cousin
Josie. I did not know that people living in 1565AD had the technology to build structures like the Humyan's Tomb that are so complicated and precise.

I found Ella in the tower, (Hot pink)! It looks like you are having a fab time.

Love malia xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

P.S. I am in Hawaii on the north shore of Oahu!

Crowesnest said...

I can seeeeee her. Wow she is having a good time.miss ya mama

xxx