Wednesday, August 6, 2008




Pinnawala Elephant Sanctuary

We are now on our way to Colombo for the last three days of our visit. This morning we dropped into this sanctuary to see how they care for these elephants. We had a blast. It was incredible to be surrounded by animals in their natural environment. We also saw some being bottle fed as they had refused to take milk from their surrogate mother. Next they walked the whole herd to the river for bathing and fun. Karen was invited to take of her shoes and get into the water to wash an elephant. What an experience!

As we entered Colombo I could not help but notice the high profile of security around the city. I would say their was a checkpoint or just an armed soldier about every few hundred yards. They had just had world leaders meeting here for 3 days but now it was over, I was surprised that this level of security was still evident.

The afternoon was free so Karen and I took a tri-wheeler and did some shopping. As you know I am not a shopper but this was fun as we went to a craft shop where everything was made by the villagers we had met earlier in the week.

I have to say that after that I just enjoyed the facilities of this wonderful hotel and then crashed. Tomorrow is a full day of studies so I need to get a clear head.

Signing off and saying goodnight.

1 comment:

HYS said...

Hey Joan,

I looovvvve the photos!


BIG HUGS,
Dounia:)